Tuesday, June 5, 2012

San Diego Rock N Roll Half-Marathon 2012

After having a rough night with a 2 year old girl who didn't want to sleep at all, I feel bad for my wife because she had to get up early too. My alarm went off at 3:00 am and I got out of bed and had a bowl of cereal and loaded up my fuel belt with GU gels. Once I got to the parking lot my only concern was to find a bathroom because I had to go. After parking I managed to find one and headed straight for it. I opened the door and realized that it is pitch black dark out. Using a porta potty in completed darkness is NOT an ideal situation and when I was done I heard a bonk and noticed that a couple of my GU gels fell into the crapper. ERRR not the way I wanted to start the day.

I originally signed up to run the full course and man I am glad I decided to run the 1/2 marathon. I ran the full marathon last year and really struggled finishing a little over 5 hours and in intense pain. My game plan entering the this run was to run hard and run fast and walk the aid stations. At the time this seemed like a good idea but once I was out on the run I didn't find any need to walk the aid stations. I haven't ran 13.1 miles in over a month and two weeks ago I was sick as a dog and spent 4 days laying in bed so I really had no idea what kind of pace I was looking to try and maintain. I wanted to start slow and go for a reverse split and pick it up towards the end. I was hoping to run the first 5k at a 9m pace and then slowly speed up from there.

At the starting line it was the typical June Gloom type weather, perfect for running's. I was in coral 12 and had to wait about 20-30 minutes before my coral was ready to rock. The countdown began from my coral and boom I was off, I jumped out fast trying to get a feel for how today was going to be. I only ran twice in the last 2 weeks and was concerned and really didn't know what to expect. My thought process was go out strong it's only 13.1 miles if I start to tire then I can just slow down. I hit the 5k mark at 27:20 at a 8:48 pace, I was pleased with my first 5k and I was hoping that I can keep my pace. My main goal for today's run was to completed it under 2 hours.

I started to run into heavy traffic and just wanted to get through the crowd without them slowing me down to back because I was still trucking and well under my 2 hr goal. I hit the 10k split at 54:32 and was feeling pretty confident. It was around this point that I knew that I was going to be just fine, just keep at this pace until the end and then turn up the heat. Running down the 163 is a trip, I am usually traveling 75 mph on it but today I am running on it. I passed these guys dressed up as Elvis and jamming out to their radio. It was great, oh did I mention each of them was drinking a Miller light..ha-ha that is the way to run.

I hit the 10 mile mark at 1hours and 27 minutes and knew I only had a 5k to go and it was time to give it a little extra. The course started to narrow but I knew it was my time and aimed for a 8 minutes pace the last 3.1 miles. Not only was I under a 8 minute mile the last 3.1 miles but I felt GREAT!!. I managed to pass a grip of runners near the finish line and crossed the line at 1 hour 52 minutes and 52 seconds, a good 7 minutes under my 2 hour goal. This was my first race at this distance and I really felt strong. I managed to finish 2002 out of 17,568 runners and 252 out of 1073 runners in my age group.

Here is the video from my race


  1. Wow you did amazing!!! All except for the outhouse deal. Lol thanks for sharing.

  2. A good description of your race! The triathlon training help you to run better.

  3. The Gu winds up in the crapper one way or another, it just took the fast route! Great race!